Lose weight. Get the courage to ask for a higher wage from your boss. Get a new job. Write more. Spend more time with family. Learn to cook. Take an art class.
BLAH BLAH BLAH. BULL SHIT.
How about we say, fuck that! And focus, instead, on what we don’t want to see ourselves doing in the New Year.
Here is the beginning of my Anti-Typical New Years Resolutions.
- I don’t want to be perpetually sad.
- I don’t want to be held back by my mother who hates tattoos… gonna get some of those inspirational ones.
- I don’t want to find myself in another abusive relationship.
- I don’t want to keep relying on modern medicine. Fuck narcotics.
- I don’t want to be realistic. GO BIG OR GO HOME. DREAM OR DIE.
- I don’t want to be so influenced by my past that I contemplate or perform self-harm as a coping mechanism over and over again.
- I don’t want to keep thinking about the men who have hurt me and thinking I deserved it.
- I don’t want to be locked by my past which prevents me from moving forward.
- I don’t want my illness and my pain to continuously define me, even though they are so part of my identity.
- I don’t want to feel guilty about saying NO to a man I’m not attracted to, either emotionally, physically, spiritually, or sexually, due to desperation and thinking that I’m not worth more than what he has to offer.
- I don’t want to say, “I love you,” out of guilt or pressure.